President Barack Obama claimed this week that his eight-year administration was free of political scandals. His comments came during a technology conference in Las Vegas.
"I didn't have scandals, which seems like it shouldn't be something you brag about. But actually, if you look at the history of the modern presidency, coming out of the modern presidency without anybody going to jail is really good. It's a big deal," Obama said, according to Newsweek.
Unfortunately for Obama, his comments don't stand up to the facts.
Here are Obama's political scandals:
- The ATF-led "Operation Fast & Furious"
- The 2012 Benghazi attack
- The Clinton Foundation's pay-for-play scheme
- Uranium One
- The Department of Justice's tracking of journalists, including Fox News' James Rosen
- The Veteran's Affairs scandal
- The Hillary Clinton private email scandal
- The IRS targeting of conservative groups
- The Solyndra scandal
- NSA spying on Americans and the PRISM program, exposed by whistleblowers
- Obama's nuclear Iran deal
- Obama's intervention in Syria and subsequent failure to act on his "red line" declaration
Obama and other top members from his administration have made similar claims since President Donald Trump assumed office last January, despite the overwhelming amount of facts that disprove their outright dishonesty.
Even Obama's messaging has not been consistent. He admitted earlier this year that his administration "didn't have a scandal that embarrassed us." At that private event, Obama never disputed his administration had scandals, like he did publicly this week.