Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips teamed up with YouTuber Mike Ayetiwa to gauge the reception of MAGA hats on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The answers were predictable, dramatic, and cringeworthy.
What are the details?
Phillips and Ayetiwa approached several students on the school's campus, asking the students if they felt that President Donald Trump's signature "Make America Great Again" campaign hat is as fear-inducing as, say, a white KKK hood would be if someone were to nonchalantly parade it around the streets.
The two young men show students photos of the KKK hood and asked them what kind of feelings the accoutrement might induce for them. Every one of the students answered variations of terror, white supremacy, racism, repulsion, outrage, and more.
Phillips and Ayetiwa then went on to ask students what they think about when they see the MAGA hat.
The more entertaining answers are below:
- "The same thing. I'm not gonna lie. [I think] they're similar in some ways, maybe in their morality basis."
- "It makes me think of the fact that it's basically the hood of 2019."
- "I can see the comparison."
- "It's a modern hoodie. ... It's like the same thing. They're representing the same thing."
- "If you look at our president, you can definitely tell, it's like ..."
- "It's representing white supremacy."
- "I think most people [wearing the hat] are probably stupid."
On the flip side, others answered differently.
- "Patriots. People that care for America."
- "I don't think that's comparable at all. ... You can't joke about the KKK."
- "You're saying half the country is in the KKK? I don't think that's a good comparison."
(Content warning: Rough language):
Is The Maga Hat The New White Hood? www.youtube.com
(H/T: The Daily Wire)