Watch LIVE

Just 15 days after pot was legalized in Illinois, a man allegedly shot his would-be dealer after she refused to let him smell what she was selling


Off to a good start

Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

An Illinois man has been charged with fatally shooting a woman he arranged to buy marijuana from on Facebook after the victim refused to let him smell it, prosecutors say, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The alleged crime took place just 15 days after the recreational sale of marijuana was legalized in the state.

Terrell Vining, 18, was arrested on first-degree murder charges in the shooting that killed Sasha Moore, 20, at a South Side Chicago gas station in January. The two had arranged to meet there to complete the drug deal, according to records from Facebook.

Vining, using the name "Chris Paul," reportedly contacted Moore on Facebook after she advertised on the social media platform that she had weed to sell. After initially picking a different location, Vining eventually set up the meeting at the gas station on 83rd and Halsted streets.

Surveillance cameras videos showed Vining waiting at a nearby gas station before the meeting, prosecutors said.

Moore, along with her boyfriend, arrived at the gas station shortly after midnight, at which point, Vining stuck his head inside the car and asked to smell the marijuana before purchasing it, authorities said. When Moore refused, Vining allegedly pulled out a handgun and shot her in the head.

After the initial gunshot, Moore's boyfriend was able to reach his foot over to the gas pedal and drive off as Vining reportedly fired two more shots at the car. Moore was taken to a nearby hospital and was pronounced dead.

Moore's boyfriend was able to get away safely and later provided police with Vining's Facebook account, which contained photos of Vining that he had uploaded. He was also able to identify Vining in a photo array, prosecutors said.

According to an assistant public defender assigned to Vining, the suspect was working part-time and living with his mother while enrolled as a senior at a downtown charter high school.

His next court date is set for March 23.

Most recent
All Articles