One guy sure picked the wrong house to break into last week — and he didn't stop at just one.
What are the details?
Bart Anthony Coniglio forcibly entered a family member's home in Wilmington just before 1 p.m. last Wednesday, WECT-TV reported, citing the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. A female who made a 911 call said it was her son, the station added.
After she escaped out the front door with a friend, the pair ran to a neighbor's home — which happened to be the residence of New Hanover County sheriff's deputy Leyla M. Davis-Woodhouse, a mother of three who was off duty with her kids, the station said.
Authorities said Coniglio then forcibly entered the deputy's home, where a physical altercation took place, WECT said.
Turns out the woman who ran from the first house was still on her call to 911 — and was now describing events while hiding in a bedroom in the deputy's home, the station reported.
"He's trying to get in her house," she said, according to WECT. "She's fighting with him outside." The station added that moments later, the caller said, "She's trying to get him out of the house ... he won't get out."
What happened next?
Other neighbors told WECT that Davis-Woodhouse warned Coniglio to not come any closer or she'd have to draw her gun — and then moments later, they heard two shots.
"She shot him or something," the caller said, according to the station.
Minutes later Davis-Woodhouse called 911 and said, "This man has pushed his way into my house, and I shot him twice. They need to get here now," WECT reported.
Then Davis-Woodhouse shouted, "Stay down, you hear me?" after which she told the dispatcher, "He fought me on the porch and pushed his way inside my house," the station said.
More from WECT:
Conigilio is no stranger to law enforcement. According to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, the 40-year-old is a convicted felon who has a criminal record dating back to 2002 for offenses ranging from resisting an officer, to possession of controlled substances, to multiple DWI arrests, and embezzlement. He has not done any prison time in North Carolina.
Coniglio also has pending court dates on more than a dozen criminal charges in New Hanover County, including Assault on a Female, Domestic Violence Protective Order Violation, Habitual Assault, Probation Violation, and giving Fictitious Information to an Officer.
What else do we know the suspect?
Coniglio was hospitalized and was being treated as of Wednesday, WLOS-TV reported.
A family member filed a Jan. 8 domestic violence protective order against Coniglio that said he has "ongoing mental health issues," the StarNews reported. The family member wrote that she feared her safety, and Coniglio "believes he is possessed by demons and that people are going to shoot him."
What else do we know about the deputy?
The New Hanover County Sheriff's Office said it hired Davis-Woodhouse in August 2014 as a detention officer and promoted her to deputy in May 2018, the paper said. She moved to the patrol division in July 2018 and was promoted to detective on Feb. 9, 2021, the StarNews said.
(H/T: The Police Tribune)