Get BlazeTV

Mom thanks God, American Airlines flight crew, and passengers for saving her baby's life during a midair medical emergency

'The scariest moment of my life unfolded before my eyes'

Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg via Getty Images

A scheduled layover during a flight from Tampa, Florida, to San Antonio quickly turned into an emergency trip to the hospital for a mother and her 11-month-old daughter.

Shortly before American Airlines Flight 607 landed in Dallas on Thursday, Janay Flowers' daughter developed a high fever and suffered a seizure.

"My precious baby girl had a febrile seizure when we were 10 minutes out from landing in Dallas," Flowers wrote in an Instagram post, where she thanked God, the flight crew, her fellow passengers, first responders, and the medical staff at the hospital for saving her daughter Nevaeh's life.

"Nevaeh is doing well now, but on that flight the scariest moment of my life unfolded before my eyes," the 28-year-old mother wrote.

Mom and daughter were traveling to San Antonio where Flowers' husband will be stationed with the U.S. Air Force.

What happened?

During the flight, Nevaeh's toes turned blue, and she struggled to breathe, Flowers wrote.

"I was traveling alone with Nevaeh and did not have a clue what to do but cry out for help," Flowers continued. "Two people immediately came to aid my baby and found that she was burning up.

"They called out for any doctors on the plane and about 3-4 additional people came running to help also," she wrote. "God had His hands on us. All of these people worked diligently to cool my baby down while she was having a seizure.

"One man went to the front of the plane to ensure that the EMS was at the gate as soon as we landed. Another man got an oxygen tank and administered it to Nevaeh. Another man was taking her pulse.

"As soon as our plane landed, we all rushed to the front of the plane while they grabbed all of my belongings," Flowers wrote. "One man carried my baby, one man kept thumping her foot to make her cry, I sang you are my sunshine and prayed like I never prayed before. It seemed to last forever."

Paramedics immediately took Flowers and Nevaeh to the Baylor Scott & White Hospital in Grapevine after landing at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.

It was the first time Nevaeh had suffered a seizure, Flowers told USA Today.

"If no one was able to help me on the flight, I don't know what I could have done for my baby, because I was in shock," Flowers said, according to The Dallas Morning News. "I believe that they helped save my baby's life."

What did the airline say?

A spokesman for American Airlines commended the flight crew for their handling of the situation.

"This medical emergency last week highlights the tremendous professionalism of American's team members, and specifically, in this situation, our flight attendants and DFW team," spokesman Ross Feinstein told the Morning News in a written statement. "We are proud of our colleagues and are grateful to them for their quick actions."

American also made sure that the family's luggage made it to San Antonio.

Is the little girl OK?

After Nevaeh's release from the hospital, the family continued their journey by car.

Flowers told the Morning News that the little girl's appetite is still low, but that she started smiling and giggling during their drive to San Antonio.

"My family and I are beyond grateful for all of the care and treatment given to our baby," the girl's mother wrote. "I am so thankful to God that He put the right people in the right place at the right time! God kept us and worked through those angels who cared for Nevaeh."

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.