Barack Obama Against Affirmative Action?
In a riveting turn of events, the Obama administration announced either a complete reversal of policy or a stunning logical gap on Tuesday. Responding to criticism that President Obama has not appointed enough women to his Cabinet, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney sounded remarkably Republican, saying while diversity is important, expertise ultimately wins out.
By this logic, the president should clearly oppose affirmative action, a program that continually elevates diversity above expertise in our schools and workplaces.
Instead, the president has demonstrated a logical incongruity – he compels institutions to enforce diversity at the expense of qualified candidates while shunning affirmative action in the West Wing, where he values expertise over diversity any day of the week.
But there is, perhaps, one reason for the president’s inconsistency: the buck stops with the president. When Obama is actually in control of the outcome, expertise is his primary concern. Rightfully so. The president wants the best man or woman for the job regardless of race or gender because he knows the state of our nation’s economy and foreign policy depends on having the best leaders at the top.
The same should hold true for our nation’s schools and businesses. Harvard Business School should accept the best applicants; the state of our economy depends on it. The most qualified students should gain admission to PhD programs; the state of our academic institutions depends on it. And Johns Hopkins Medical School should admit the most promising doctors; our very lives depend on it.
In practice, Obama’s actions are in direct opposition to his pro-affirmative action rhetoric. His appointment of four white men to Cabinet positions in recent weeks should serve as evidence. And how about the fact that the Obama White House pays female staffers 18 percent less than male staffers?
These actions are in exact contradiction to what the Obama administration wrote in an amicus brief: “‘The government has a vital interest in drawing its personnel — many of whom will eventually become its civilian and military leaders — from a well-qualified and diverse pool of university and service-academy graduates of all backgrounds who possess the understanding of diversity that is necessary to govern and defend the United States.”
For all of Obama’s pro-diversity rhetoric, maybe it’s time for Obama to judge himself by his own standards. I suspect his administration would fail his own diversity litmus test!
While Obama’s hypocritical actions are entertaining to observe from the sidelines, they miss the real point, which is this – the most qualified people should be appointed to our nation’s most important positions regardless of gender or race. And America must end our obsession with viewing and analyzing every action through a racial or gender-oriented purview. Our nation will never arrive at true equality until we look past the factors that differentiate us.
Barack Obama famously said, “There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America – there’s the United States of America.” But what the president doesn’t understand is this – the beginning of one America is the end of affirmative action.
- Reporter Uses Logic of the Left’s Gun Control Argument to Stump Dem Rep. on Abortion 388 Comments
- Was Justice Roberts Intimidated Into Voting for ‘ObamaCare’? Senator Mike Lee Presents the Evidence 295 Comments
- Wild Video: Alleged Teacher Goes Ballistic, Beats Christian Ministry Workers With Her Purse Following Church vs. State Debate 269 Comments
- ‘KKK-Type of Intimidation’: Kansas Sec. of State Targeted by Mob Asking Prosecutors to Consider Using ‘Klan Laws’ 260 Comments
- How Angry Would You Be if You and Your Family Got This Receipt from a Restaurant? 259 Comments
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
Interested in doing more? Spread the word about TheBlaze to your friends and family.
Spread the word!
- Michele Bachmann’s special message to ‘liberals’ – she’ll be here a long, long, long (she said it nine times) long time.
- If the Boston bomber is a ‘victim’ of gun violence…
- Check it out: ‘A Fresh Breath of Farm Air’ (a Fresh Prince parody)
- A picture is worth 1,000 words: How do you advertise morality?
- Video: Allen West talks 2016 primary challenge against Rubio
- Bulger trial: The hit man of Country Club Lane
- Victims' relatives to testify in Bulger trial
- AP PHOTOS: Bangladesh collapse left many amputees
- Police: Disabled Pa. man who died suffered neglect
- China astronauts float water blob in kids' lecture
- Uncle: Patriots player had link to homicide victim
- Singapore haze at worst yet, Malaysia schools shut
- OH man to be sentenced in dying blink murder case