Get BlazeTV
News

New Zealand Woman Suffers Stroke, Paralysis After Hickey ‘Love Bite’

A "love bite" -- aka, a hickey -- often leave one feeling embarrassed. But a woman in New Zealand was left partially paralyzed after one romantic encounter went wrong.

According to the UK's Daily Mail, the 44-year-old's story is the first reported of its kind. When the woman rushed to the hospital after experiencing a loss of movement on the left side of her body, doctors suspected she'd had a small stroke, but struggled find what may have caused it.

But a fading bruise mark on the right side of her neck led doctors to believe that the so-called "love bite" damaged a major artery and a resulting blood clot traveled to the woman's brain, causing the stroke.

"To my knowledge, it's the first time someone has been hospitalized by a 'hickey,'" said Dr. Teddy Wu, the woman's treating physician. Doctor Wu also warned that if the unnamed woman's condition had gone untreated, she could have suffered a number of subsequent strokes.

"Strokes have different levels of severity," he said, "but possibly patients can become paralyzed."

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Recommended
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.