Try BlazeTV for Free
FOR RSS

Mike Pence Rules Out 2012 Presidential Bid

Congressman Mike Pence, R-Ind., will not be pursuing the nation's highest office in 2012 as some have speculated. Instead, the conservative Republican is soon expected to publicly declare his intentions to explore a campaign to be Indiana's next governor.

In a letter to constituents Thursday, Pence and his wife Karen wrote, “In the choice between seeking national office and serving Indiana in some capacity, we choose Indiana.”

"He is a realist and kept coming back to questions about the fund-raising," an anonymous source close to the congressman told CNN Thursday. Additionally, another source said that advisers reminded Pence of the difficulty of mounting a successful presidential campaign from the House of Representatives. At age 51, they said, the Indiana Republican may have a better platform to explore a presidential run in the future if he was first elected governor, CNN reports.

Pence is wildly popular in his own congressional district, having secured re-election last November by more than a two-to-one margin of defeat over his Democratic challenger.

Indiana's current governor, Republican Mitch Daniels, will be term-limited out of office in 2012 and many have also speculated that he may make a run for the GOP presidential nomination. Meanwhile, Daniels' No. 2, Republican Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman announced last month that she would not run for governor, further opening the door for a potential Pence run.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.