Osama Bin Laden wanted to assassinate President Obama as in the run up to the 2012 presidential elections, the terror leader's journal seized by U.S. forces reveals.
The mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks wanted to kill the President in a follow up mission, 10 years after the devastating 2001 attack.
U.S. intelligence officials are currently analysing over one million pages of data taken from the terror leader's compound, including his handwritten journal.
The documents reveal that the Al Qaeda leader was still plotting attacks against the U.S. and wanted to find a way to kill Obama.
Bin Laden's own writings indicate that he had urged followers to assassinate Obama as a way of disrupting the 2012 presidential election.
Former intelligence officials said that Bin Laden was focussed on killing the President.
Video footage of Bin Laden watching TV in his hideout showed that whenever Obama came on the screen, the terror leader would quickly try to change the channel.
"I would say this is probably very personal on bin Laden's part, to kill a President that he believes has violated the Muslim faith," Brad Garrett, a former FBI profiler, told ABC News "He is incensed, inflamed, obsessed about killing the President."
As Business Insider notes, the treasure trove of information also uncovered other plans. For example:
- was calling on followers to kill the President in run up to 2012 election
- longed for another 9/11 to replicate mass attacks of the past
- gave orders to target not just New York, but smaller U.S. cities such as LA
- desperately wanted to 'sow political dissent' in Washington
- was urging followers to strike on anniversary of 9/11 and Fourth of July
- had become arrogant, 'lazy and complacent' about his own security