Could convicted bomber Brett Kimberlin possibly have been the victim of a SWATting attack? That seems to be what he's alleging -- but members of the blogosphere are working to throw cold water on that claim.
SWATting, in which a phony call to 911 operators triggers a massive emergency response to the victim's home, is a tactic that has been allegedly tied to Kimberlin as an intimidation technique against those seeking to expose him. Among those who say they have been SWATted are Patrick Frey, a Los Angeles deputy district attorney and conservative blogger who writes under the name “Patterico,” and Erick Erickson, editor of RedState.com.
A recent post on Kimberlin's Velvet Revolution organization website offers a $10,000 reward leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the SWATtings of four alleged victims: Michael Stack, Frey, Erickson and Kimberlin himself.
“Of course not, it’s ridiculous. It’s totally irresponsible for them to even say this,” Kimberlin told ABC News. “There is no truth to anything about the SWAT-ting.”
He mentioned death threats, in a story about SWATting, and he had already been SWATted, but he didn’t mention the SWATting?
I suppose it’s possible. I didn’t publicly mention mine for almost a year, primarily because I didn’t want to interfere with ongoing or potential investigations.
Have they already wrapped up Kimberlin’s investigation?
Blogger Lee Stranahan took it a step further, reaching out to the Montgomery County, Md. public information office to see whether they could corroborate Kimberlin's claim and receiving the following response:
I searched our 911 call database for the above listed address. There was no call listed for 5/31, nor anything similar to what you described. I then searched each of our 6 districts for the entire day of 5/31 for a murder in progress, murder just occurred or murder occurred earlier call with negative results. I then spoke with our director to determine if this type of incident was brought to his attention recently and it was not...for the time being, I don’t see anything similar to what you described.
Still, Kimberlin attorney Kevin Zeese told Stranahan he stood by the reward offer -- and seemingly Kimberlin's claim as well:
This is a law enforcement matter, we are cooperating with the FBI in all these matters. We have offered the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved in these four swatting incidents.
Also on Monday, 85 House members signed on to a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder demanding the Department of Justice investigate the SWATting attacks. Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) sent a similar letter to Holder last week.