The former Navy SEAL who was there during the raid that killed Osama bin Laden told Scott Pelley during an interview with "60 Minutes" that despite it being an election year, his new tell-all book is not motivated by politics. Instead, he says "No Easy Day" is a tribute to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and all the people who helped carry out the attack on the al-Qaeda leader's compound, CBS News reports.
The author, who goes by the pseudonym "Mark Owen, will appear in his first interview on "60 Minutes," Sunday Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. ET. His face will be concealed, his voice disguised.
Below are some of the excerpts provided by CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley:
Scott Pelley: How long was it before you got the call to go?
Mark Owen: We had a week off in Virginia Beach. And when I say "off," it wasn't completely. But we had a week-- a week off at home-- conducted one more rehearsal, day of training on the life-size mock up. And then we got the word that we were going.
Owen's book was to be released on the anniversary of 9/11, but the release has been moved up to next week. There's been criticism that the book is timed to influence the election.
Mark Owen: My worry from the beginning is, you know, it's a political season. This book is not political whatsoever. It doesn't bad mouth either party, and we specifically chose September 11th to keep it out of the politics. You know, if these-- crazies on either side of the aisle want to make it political, shame on them. This is a book about September 11th, and it needs to rest on September 11th. Not be brought into the political arena, because this-- this has nothing to do with politics.
Fox News was the first news outlet to publish Owen's real name -- many others followed suit. Owens has since received death threats, with some terrorist groups calling for his assassination. TheBlaze will not publish his real name.
Watch part of Owen's "60 Minutes" interview set to air Sunday here:
Read the entire CBS News report here.
- Navy SEAL’s First-Person Account of Bin Laden Raid Hits Book Stores on Sept. 11, US Gov‘t ’Surprised’
- Author Behind Bin Laden Raid Tell-All Ostracized From SEAL Team 6
- SEAL’s Tell-All Book Raises Questions About Bin Laden’s Death, Says Raid ‘Reported Like a Bad Action Movie’
- Navy SEAL Behind Tell-All Book on Bin Laden Raid Identified — Should the Media Have Published His Name?
- Fellow SEAL‘s Strong Message for ’Benedict Arnold’ Behind OBL Raid Book
- US officials checking SEAL raid book for secrets