A school bus passes a makeshift memorial to the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting as it takes students to Newtown High School December 18, 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut. (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)
© 2023 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
"He was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting"
HARTFORD, Conn. (TheBlaze/AP) -- A Connecticut attorney seeking to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor of the Newtown school massacre has withdrawn the claim - at least for now.
The Stamford Advocate reports that Irving Pinsky withdrew the lawsuit, but says he might refile. He has apparently received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and is taking time to review it.
Pinsky last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered "emotional and psychological trauma and injury" during the shooting rampage that killed 20 children and six adults.
In his estimation, state officials failed to prevent his client from foreseeable harm.
Here's more on his explanation:
According to Reuters, Pinsky was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.
But the state attorney general said Monday there appears to be no basis to support the suit or the state's liability.
"Our hearts go out to this family, and to all the children and families affected by the Newtown shootings," State Attorney General George Jepsen said. "They deserve a thoughtful and deliberate examination of the causes of this tragedy and of the appropriate public policy responses."
However, he added: "The Office of the Claims Commissioner is not the appropriate venue for that important and complex discussion."
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.