The press office at Al Jazeera America sent out a release Tuesday night touting an "exclusive report" related to inadequate security at foreign U.S. embassies. It also claims: "the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Special Mission in Benghazi, Libya, which left Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead, exploited the State Department’s failure to address serious security concerns at diplomatic facilities in high-risk areas."
Of course, the Benghazi incident has been viewed by conservative media as both a measure of incompetence in the Obama adminstration and, in many cases, as a scandal the administration has attempted to cover up. So, a report like this from Al Jazeera America, which has its detractors in conservative circles, would naturally catch fire on the right.
But there's a problem.
Strikingly similar reports were released by other media in October of last year:
--Documents Back Up Claims of Requests for Greater Security in Benghazi (ABC News)
--Benghazi security requests ignored ahead of embassy attack, leaked memo says: Report (Global Post)
--Official says he sought more security at U.S. Consulate in Libya (Los Angeles Times)
What's with the old news that's suddenly an exclusive, if not to win favor with skeptics? We've requested comment from Al Jazeera America.