Pop singer Cher has declined an invitation to perform at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Citing the country's recently-enacted anti-gay laws, the famed singer said that she would not be offering her voice up to entertain the masses.
In an interview with Canada's MacLean's magazine, she spoke out about her decision to decline the offer. The interview, which unfolded earlier this month, is just now beginning to make U.S. headlines.
"I can’t name names, but my friend called who is a big oligarch over there and asked me if I’d like to be an ambassador for the Olympics and open the show," Cher told MacLean's. "I immediately said no. I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there."
Pop singer Cher (Photo Credit: AP)
The singer went on to say that her unnamed friend assured her that the Russian people feel very differently from the Russian government on the matter.
Cher also told the outlet and she and her late ex-husband Sonny Bono were always on the fringe in their early career and that he was even called an "f**" because of the clothing the two wore. As a result of being on the outside, the singer noted that she relates to gays and lesbians.
As TheBlaze and the AP told reported earlier this summer, Russia’s contentious anti-gay law was signed by President Vladimir Putin in late June (more about that can be found here), imposing fines on individuals accused of spreading “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” to minors, and even proposing penalties for those who express these views online or in the news media. Gay pride rallies also are banned.
It is these regulations that have Cher up in arms and refusing to lend her voice to the country's Olympic festivities next year.
- Christiane Amanpour Explodes on Fellow Panelists Over Syria: ‘I Can Barely Contain Myself at This Point’
- School Includes Muslim Poem but No Pledge of Allegiance on 9/11
- ‘They Do Want Jesus to Return’: What Percentage of Americans Believes the Syrian Crisis Is Part of the ‘End Times’?
- ‘Religion Is the Enemy of Science’: Bill Nye Joins Bill Maher in Lambasting Creationism
- Comedian’s Curious Rant About Jesus: ‘The Most Extremely Liberal Guy Ever’ Who ‘Scares the Hell out of the Conservatives’