© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Female Suspect Dead, Two Officers Injured After Wild Police Chase Toward the U.S. Capitol
Credit: Tampa Bay Times reporter Alex Leary (@learyreports)

Female Suspect Dead, Two Officers Injured After Wild Police Chase Toward the U.S. Capitol

• Unconfirmed reports of other injuries• Reports: Female suspect is deceased• Woman tried to ram barricade near White House?• Watch live local news feed• New video of suspect ramming cop car• Eyewitnesses describe scene to TheBlaze

A woman driving a black Infiniti with a young child inside tried to ram through a White House barricade Thursday, then led police on a chase toward the Capitol, where police shot and killed her, witnesses and officials said.

Tourists watched the shooting unfold on Constitution Avenue outside the Capitol as lawmakers inside debated how to end a government shutdown. Police quickly locked down the entire complex temporarily, and both houses of Congress went into recess.

Read our previous posts and updates below to see how it all unfolded.

UPDATE 7:25 p.m. ET: Via the Hartford Courant:

A Stamford dental hygienist with a history of mental health issues was killed after a chase and shooting near the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, a source with knowledge of the investigation said.

The source said Miriam Carey, 34, was the woman who was driving the black Infiniti coupe with Connecticut license plates that tried to pass a security check point at the White House, led police on a chase through central Washington and died after being shot near the U.S. Capitol.

UPDATE 6:06 p.m. ET: Police would not reveal any information on the female suspect, but they did confirm that she has been "pronounced" dead.

There were two officers injured during the pursuit, and both are in good condition, police said.

The child who was traveling in the suspect's car is reportedly in protective custody.

UPDATE 5:35 p.m. ET: The Washington Posts says that the suspect involved in the incident was a woman in her 30s and that a child taken from the car could be as young as one. The Post also cites two sources who say the woman did not have a gun.

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) told Fox News the woman was "African-American."

UPDATE 5:15 p.m. ET: Eyewitnesses describe the frantic scene in the aftermath of the incident.

“I didn’t really have time to think; if I had I probably wouldn’t have gone outside,” one witness told TheBlaze’s Oliver Darcy.

“I really didn’t know what to think. I heard the seven or eight shots. There were dozens of officers. So much so that you really couldn’t even see what was happening. There were officers in police vehicles on every side, swarming, and more coming in every second.”

Read more in our separate post.

UPDATE 4:42 p.m. ET: Sen. Richard Blumenthal (R-Conn.) tells NECN that the black car involved in Thursday's police chase had Connecticut plates.

NBC Connecticut is also reporting that the "car involved in the incident outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday is owned by a Connecticut resident, NBC News has learned."

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 03: A police officer checks out a car on grass with his canine near the U.S. Capitol October 3, 2013 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The US Capitol and the White House were placed on lockdown after an 'active shooter' situation was reported. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

UPDATE 4:26 p.m. ET: Fox News' Chad Pergram reports that the female suspect involved in the car chase near the U.S. Capitol is deceased.

UPDATE 4:25 p.m. ET: New video of the black car involved in the incident has emerged:

UPDATE 4:05 p.m. ET: Executive Director of the American Center for Law and Justice Jordan Sekulow witnessed some of the chaos that unfolded on Thursday and recalled the surreal incident in an interview with TheBlaze.

Sekulow says he could see the crime scene outside his office window in Washington, D.C. He also said there were sirens before gun shots rang out.

"Then we hear, 'boom, boom, boom!' and someone said, 'that's gunfire, everybody needs to get down,'" he recalled. "There was what I can only describe as an army of police responding at what is literally our intersection."

UPDATE 4:00 p.m. ET: New video obtained by NBC News shows people running away after shots were fired outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday.

UPDATE 3:51 p.m. ET: Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer is now telling a local Fox affiliate that the incident split into two locations. In other words, there are two crime scenes that police are investigating.

That seems to be corroborated by TheBlaze's own Oliver Darcy, who reports Capitol Police have told him they have "multiple crime scenes."

Gainer said there were shots fired at both locations and the suspect sped away from the first incident and fled to the second crime scene.

Reports indicate that the female suspect rammed a security barricade near the White House before speeding away and being stopped by police at the second crime scene.

UPDATE 3:44 p.m. ET: TheBlaze's Oliver Darcy reports live from Washington, D.C.:

UPDATE 3:30 p.m. ET: Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer told a local Fox affiliate that the incident does not appear to be related to terrorism and is believed to be an isolated incident.

He also said it appears that shots were fired by law enforcement. It's unclear if the suspect involved in the incident ever fired shots or if all shots were fired by police.

The child who was reportedly in the suspect's car was taken to the hospital but she was not believed to be injured, Gainer said.

During a press conference, the police chief said it appears that no officers were shot in the incident. Injuries sustained by one officer after reportedly being struck in his squad car are not believed to be life threatening.

The police chief did not have an update on the female suspect's condition.

UPDATE 3:24 p.m. ET: TheBlaze's Oliver Darcy is on the scene at the U.S. Capitol. We will continue bringing you breaking updates.

UPDATE 3:06 p.m. ET: Fox News confirms that a female driver tried to ram a security barrier near the White House with her car. Ed Henry reports Capitol Police then chased the suspect toward the Capitol.

Fox also reports the woman had a child in the car, whose status is unknown.

In addition to ABC News, WJLA is also reporting that a female suspect was shot and killed. There are also conflicting reports saying that the female suspect has been taken into custody.

Executive Director of the ACLJ Jordan Sekulow tweeted the following picture that shows a black car surrounded by police:

Police have reportedly lifted the lockdown at the U.S. Capitol.

There are reports of shots fired near the U.S. Capitol, according to several news organizations. There are unconfirmed reports of one officer injured and possibly others.

The shots came from outside not inside the U.S. Capitol, Reuters reports. Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) also reported hearing shots fired.

Police say the U.S. Capitol had been put on a security lockdown since reports of possible shots fired outside the building emerged. However, the lockdown was lifted at around 3 p.m. ET.

Several news organizations are reporting that one suspect is in custody.

Another source tells ABC News that a female suspect is reportedly dead on scene at U.S. Capitol.

Credit: Tampa Bay Times reporter Alex Leary (@learyreports)

Fox News is reporting that the shooting may have been the result of a high-speed car chase that began outside the U.S. Capitol.

People standing outside the Supreme Court across the street from Congress were hurried into the court building by authorities.

In a notice distributed by email, the U.S. Capitol Police advised everyone to "close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows.The notice said gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill. There are unconfirmed reports of an officer injured.

Executive Director of the ACLJ Jordan Sekulow was able to capture a photo of at least one person being carried out on a stretcher following the reports of shots fired.

Source: Twitter, @JordanSekulow

en. Bob Casey, D-Pa., told reporters he was walking from the Capitol to the Senate Russell Office Building across the street when he noticed several police officers driving fast up Constitution Avenue on motorcycles.

"Within seconds of that," Casey said, "we heard three, four, five pops," which he assumed were gunshots. He said police ordered Casey and nearby tourists to crouch behind a car for protection.

In about two minutes, he said, the officers moved everyone into the Capitol.

FBI agents rushed to the scene and Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer confirmed: "There are reports of injuries."

Watch a live feed of the developing situation via NBC Washington:

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?