A 3-year-old dog was rescued not only from an abandoned Detroit home but from a precarious situation that could have led to her death: Her head was stuck in a clear, plastic jar.
"There is no telling how long she had been like that, barely able to breathe and unable to eat or drink,"the Michigan Humane Society wrote on its website. "One thing that’s clear is that if someone hadn’t called the MHS Rescue Hotline, this sweet pup would have perished."
Video taken by the humane society of the rescue of the Chow mix named Olive showed her in a state of panic. She initially hid in the home from her rescuer. Eventually, she was caught and removed from the house, but she was "gasping for air." The rescuer had to cut holes in the plastic just so she could breathe on the way to the shelter.
Once at the shelter, the team used a lubricant to help remove the jar.
"You’re not going to believe the look of relief on Olive’s face after the jar came sliding off of her head. It is a look and feeling that was shared by everyone at the shelter that day. She was finally free to eat, drink and breathe," the humane society recounted.
After taking care of Olive's heartworm disease, which could have been deadly, Olive is healthy and now "looking for her forever home."
Watch Olive's rescue: