The so-called "Pillowcase Rapist," who has admitted to raping more than 40 women, moved into a rural California community Wednesday after a judge ordered his release from a mental hospital last year.
Christopher Hubbert, 63, was released from Coalinga State Hospital to a court ordered home in Lake Los Angeles, an unincorporated area near Palmdale.
Community members are afraid the 63-year-old, who earned his nickname by binding the hands of his victims and using a pillowcase to muffle their screams, will strike again.
[sharequote align="center"]"When we saw him coming down the road, I literally got the shakes. I wanted to cry."[/sharequote]
"It scares the hell out of me," resident Cheryl Holbrook told the Associated Press. "When we saw him coming down the road, I literally got the shakes. I wanted to cry. He's going to reoffend, he's going to attack somebody again, and he's going to take somebody's life."
Following his release, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department released a "sexually violent predator alert," notifying residents prior offenses include rape by force, oral copulation with a minor under 14 years of age by force or fear, burglary and false imprisonment. Hubbert has previously been released, where he went on to offend again.
Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Gilbert Brown ordered Hubbert's release to Lake Los Angeles last year because he was born and raised there. The bay-area judge's decision was protested by many, including Los Angeles County Attorney Jackie Lacey, who asked the state Supreme Court to block his release. That request was denied.
Release terms require him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet, obey a curfew and continue treatment, among other things.
"He will be under constant supervision for a period of several weeks to months," the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department said in a press release.
The rapist's former parole officer, John Bays, said he fears Hubbert "more than a Mexican Mafia Killer."
"I know more about Christopher Hubbart than I care to remember," wrote Bays in a letter to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, according to Fox News. "Why does Chris scare me more than a Mexican Mafia Killer? Because Hubbart's actions are 'compulsive' ... personal compulsions at the expense of another's life."
Residents of the small town greeted Hubbert outside his new home shouting "be afraid" at him.
“We won’t stop this fight! We want him out!” one woman shouted, according to KTLA-TV. “Be afraid. Be very afraid.”
“I’m very angry,” resident Norma Valenti added to KTLA. “Everybody’s afraid. They’re literally scared and fearing for their lives because this man is here.”
Assemblyman Steve Fox said in a statement that "words cannot express" his frustration.
"I believe the court that ordered his release has put the rights of this one rapist above the rights of the families of the Antelope Valley — especially women and children," Fox said. "This fight is not over. Serial rapists and pedophiles belong in prison, not next door."
Hubbert will be renting a space for $2,800 a month from Martyn Haggett, who himself served eight years in prison for hiring a hit man to kill his wife, KTLA reported. The bill will be footed by state dollars.
Hubbert will also have 24-hour protection from a security firm.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter