Get BlazeTV
News

Homeland Security spokesman shoots down 'fake news' story with one tweet

The Department of Homeland Security spokesperson shot down a burgeoning narrative after the hiring of a new White House chief of staff Friday. (PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images)

Very soon after it was announced today that Reince Priebus was out as White House chief of staff, a report began circulating that appeared to prove the ineptitude and incompetence of the Trump administration. Until one tweet from a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security shot it down.

Shane Harris of the Wall Street Journal tweeted from his social media account on Twitter.

"A DHS spokesman tells me the department has received "no guidance" on who is now the acting secretary of homeland security," he said.

The vacancy at the Department of Homeland Security will come from retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, who had been the secretary at the department, but will become the White House chief of staff, replacing Reince Priebus.

But before the story could grab hold, David Lapan, presumably a different Department of Homeland Security spokesman, corrected Harris from his own Twitter account.

"Untrue that DHS received no guidance on acting secretary," he said. "[Secretary Kelly] remains Secretary - [Deputy Secretary] Duke becomes acting [secretary] on Mon."

Later the Department of Homeland Security posted a statement clarifying that there was a clear line of succession for the position.

Harris also posted the statement.

The original tweet saying there is no guidance has more than 3,200 retweets, the statement from Homeland Security has only 151 retweets.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Recommended
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.