In the wake of the deadly Las Vegas mass shooting Sunday night, Moore proposed a 28th amendment to the United States Constitution that “repeals the ancient and outdated 2nd Amendment.”
He began his lengthy Facebook post with the following preamble:
“A well regulated State National Guard, being helpful to the safety and security of a State in times of need, along with the strictly regulated right of the people to keep and bear a limited number of non-automatic Arms for sport and hunting, with respect to the primary right of all people to be free from gun violence, this shall not be infringed.”
Moore — noting the Second Amendment was “written before bullets and revolvers were even invented” — said his proposed amendment “guarantees States can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies), allows individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food, and guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).”
What else does Moore’s proposed amendment say?
- “As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner),” he wrote. “This law has greatly reduced most spousal/domestic gun murders in Canada.”
- “All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned,” Moore added.
- “No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets,” he continued.
- Moore said a gun’s trigger must recognize the registered owner’s fingerprint. “This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun,” he added.
- No guns at home, Moore said. Instead they must “be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.”
- Moore said all who “own and operate” guns must get licenses “like one does to operate a car” and “complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check” before getting licensed.
- “As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded,” he added. “And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun — and requiring its storage outside the home — easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.”
- More also wants the removal of “current restrictions placed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), due to successful lobbying by the NRA” to study “the gun violence epidemic in the US.” He added that “science will then be free to find out why we are ALONE among nations in killing each other at such a massive rate (hint: It’s not just the guns — it’s us as Americans).”
What other conclusions does Moore draw?
- “This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs,” he wrote, “everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager.”
- Moore said it won’t “deny hunters and sportsmen their fun.”
- He added, “We can start with the upcoming midterm election. Let every candidate know: If you take NRA money, we will remove you from office.”