- Four intruders armed with guns and a knife tried to rob the Florida home of a man they believed was wealthy — and kidnap his 17-year-old daughter as well Tuesday night, the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office said.
- The homeowner, 51, told deputies his daughter called saying the road to their home was blocked with barrels and garbage cans.
- Turns out the culprits hoped to force the girl from her vehicle after she saw the road obstacles, but she just drove around them instead.
- Soon after her father heard his dogs barking, saw motion-activated flood lights turn on and heard what sounded like a car door closing — so he decided to grab his gun.
- Sure enough he saw intruders trying to force their way into his garage, and he fired three shots.
- The suspects ran into nearby woods after having unscrewed some of his security lights.
- A neighbor saw a suspicious car near her home about the same time and told deputies who soon pulled over a 2016 white Jeep Liberty.
Image source: Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office
- Inside the vehicle were three suspects ranging in age from 15 to 17, along with 19-year-old Keilon Johnson. Deputies also found latex gloves, facial masks and dark clothing.
Keilon Johnson (Image source: Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office)
- The sheriff’s office said their investigation revealed the foursome's robbery and kidnapping plot — which included confronting and subduing the father — and they all have been charged with attempted kidnapping and attempted home invasion robbery.
- Johnson was booked into the Okaloosa County Jail, and the other suspects were taken to a juvenile detention facility.