Parents are forced to go to court to evict 30-year-old son from their home; he plans to appeal

Parents are forced to go to court to evict 30-year-old son from their home; he plans to appeal
Image source: Video screenshot

A couple in upstate New York repeatedly tried to evict their unemployed 30-year-old son from their home, but he wouldn’t budge so they sued him, the New York Post reported.

Mark and Christina Rotondo of Camillus sent multiple notices to their son, Michael Rotondo, demanding that he leave their home, but those notices went ignored.

Finally, the couple was forced to take their son to court where an Onondaga County Supreme Court judge ruled on Tuesday that they can boot him out.

Michael said he plans to appeal the ruling.

What’s the story?

Michael moved in with his parents eight years ago. He also has a young son whom he lost custody of in September.

After pleading with him to get a job and to move out, Michael’s parents started sending him eviction notices in February.

“Michael, After a discussion with your Mother, we have decided that you must leave this house immediately,” the first letter dated Feb. 2 read.

“You have 14 days to vacate . . . We will take whatever actions are necessary to enforce this decision,” the letter closed.

Later, the couple offered the millennial $1,100 to “find a place to stay.” He took the money to pay some bills, but he didn’t leave.

“There are jobs available even for those with a poor work history like you. Get one — you have to work!” the Rotondos wrote in another letter.

Another letter dated Feb. 13 addressed to “Michael Joseph Rotondo” said he’s “hereby evicted … effective immediately.”

“You have heretofore been our guest and there is no lease or agreement that gives you any right to stay here without our consent,” the letter said.

The couple even offered to fix their son’s broken car that sits in the driveway.

A series of letters continued through March 30. But to no avail.

So, on May 7, the couple filed a lawsuit against Michael.

What happened in court?

Judge Donald Greenwood blasted Michael’s demands for a six-month notice to vacate his parents’ modest home where he resides in a bedroom near the master.

Michael, who represented himself in court, alleged his parents are breaking the law by trying forcing him out since he’s a family member.

And he claimed he’s “not a burden” on his parents since they don’t provide him food or laundry.

But the judge wasn’t buying what the adult son was selling.

“I want you out of that household,” Greenwood told Michael, according to WSYR-TV.

“That’s outrageous,” Michael said to the judge.

Mark and Christina sat quietly throughout the 30-minute hearing.

“I don’t see why we can’t just wait a little bit for me to leave the house,” the couple’s son said to the judge.

“Sir, I’ve already ruled,” Greenwood told him.

Michael told the Post that he could stay in the home until his parents’ lawyer, Anthony Adorante, drafts an order with an official eviction date.

What else?

The son said he would comply as long as the date is not less than 30 days.

Michael told the Post he wants to leave.

“I’ve been trying to leave there for a long time. They stopped feeding me. They cut me off the family phone plan,” he said.

According to court documents, Michael claimed he runs a “successful” unnamed business.

“I have money. I have income,” Michael said. “I have plans to not stay with them anymore — just not today, just not in 30 days. I can’t imagine I’ll be there in three months.”

Last year, Michael sued Best Buy for firing him in 2015 when he refused to work on Saturdays. He’s seeking $338,500 in the pending case.

Michael turns 31 in July.