- He urged liberals to create a "Stand Your Ground law ... for cancel culture" and "stop apologizing."
- He warned that "cancel culture is real, it's insane, it's growing exponentially, and it's coming to a neighborhood near you."
- He defended Gina Carano after Disney fired her for likening censorship of conservatives to Nazi Germany.
- He mocked attempts to erase the names of Presidents Washington and Lincoln: "Memo to social justice warriors: When what you're doing sounds like an Onion headline, stop."
- He observed that the U.S. is falling behind on the world stage because Americans are far too focused on a "never-ending woke competition."
- He ripped progressive attempts to "sacrifice merit for equity" in U.S. education.
- He blasted SJW "brats" who "control the media."
- He said that the cancel culture is "Stalinesque."
- He rebuked "gullible" Millennials and Gen Zers for having "stupid" ideas.
- He even offered praise for Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' efforts during the pandemic while attacking the media's "panic porn."
Last weekend was no exception.
During the late-night Friday episode, Maher went after today's Democratic Party for being "fun-suckers," likening them to the puritanical Republican Party of the 1980s and '90s.
After spending most of his monologue attacking the GOP for their hypocrisy, flipping from being so uptight that "they could grind diamonds in their ass" to defending people like Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who has been accused of paying for sex with a 17-year-old girl and who reportedly has a reputation of going to parties rife with people doing drugs and having sex.
This has Maher fed up, because he knows that now, his party, the Democratic Party, has become "uptight" in its wokeness.
"I don't want to live in a world where liberals are the uptight ones," he said. "Once upon a time, the right were the ones offended by everything. They were the party of speech codes and blacklists and moral panics and demanding some TV show had to go.
"Well, now that's us," a disgusted Maher said. "We're the fun-suckers now.
"We suck the fun out of everything: Halloween, the Oscars, childhood, Twitter, comedy," he continued. "It's like woke kids on campus decided to be all the worst parts of a Southern Baptist."
He went on to note that if the "new puritanical Democratic Party" had "policed morality" over the last several decades as they do now, they would be "down a lot of heroes" — including "FDR, JFK, RFK, LBJ, Clinton, Martin Luther King."
Democrats, he added, can no longer "tell the difference between Anthony Weiner and Al Franken," referring to two men kicked out of the party for very different accusations of sexual improprieties.
It's time, he said, for his party to get back to being the party with few moral hangups and let the GOP resume its role of being uptight.
Content warning: rough language:
New Rule: Sex, Drugs & GOP | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)www.youtube.com