Lawmakers in the host city for the 2020 Republican National Convention are exploring the possibility of backing out of hosting obligations.
The Charlotte City Council passed a resolution on Monday — by a 9-2 vote — condemning President Donald Trump's "racist and xenophobic" tweets directed at progressive congresswomen, but specifically Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.).
The resolution also condemns the "send her back" chants last week at a Trump campaign rally in Greenville, North Carolina.
"[T]he Council deems it imperative to condemn such racist and xenophobic language that only serves to stoke fear of others and perpetuate division everywhere based on ethnicity, religion, and/or race," the resolution reads.
The nine council members who approved the resolution are Democrats. The two who voted against it are Republicans; they expressed concern over why the council felt it was necessary to weigh in on national issues.
Prior to the vote, the council briefly discussed the possibility of withdrawing from convention hosting duties. Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles said several council members asked the city attorney to explore the possibility in recent days, following the latest controversy with Trump.
However, according to the Charlotte Observer, city attorney Patrick Baker said there is no legal pathway for the city to abandon hosting obligations without the threat of a lawsuit, short of the RNC or the city of Charlotte materially breaching the hosting contract.
Baker informed the city there is yet no evidence of such a breach, the Observer reported.
Charlotte will host the GOP convention in August 2020 after the council voted 6-5 to do so last summer.