A British teenager has been struck with a mystery illness and doctors believe it may be due to malnutrition stemming from years of his devouring the same junk food.
The case report was published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine according to NBC News.
The boy had complained of fatigue when he was 14 years old. A doctor at the time advised him about his diet and gave him a B12 vitamin injection.
A year later he began to lose his hearing. He was sent to a specialist.
A year after that he began to lose his eyesight.
By age 17, the boy was legally blind.
Doctors observed damage to the boy's optic nerve, but could not identify a cause. The boy denied that he ingested tobacco, alcohol, or drugs, and then admitted
"However, the patient confessed that, since elementary school, he would not eat certain textures of food," read the report.
"He had a daily portion of fries from the local fish and chip shop and snacked on Pringles, white bread, processed ham slices and sausages," it continued.
Doctors concluded that the teen was suffering from a lack of essential nutrients from his poor diet. They gave him nutritional supplements, which appeared to stop the deterioration, but didn't improve his sight.
They also recommended the teen seek mental illness help for the extreme behavior as a result of his being a "fussy" eater.
Here's a news video about the bizarre case:
Potato Chips Make UK Teenager Go Blind www.youtube.com