Chelsea Manning, the former soldier convicted of espionage for sending classified documents to Wikileaks, is using her notoriety to run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland.
Manning, whose sentence was commuted by President Barack Obama, filed to run in January and has proposed a radical platform. On today's show, Doc found it humorous that Manning claims she wants to fight “authoritarianism” through greater progressive control.
"The rise of authoritarianism is encroaching in every aspect of life, whether it's government or corporate or technological," Manning told the Associated Press.
Here are some of the policies proposed in her radical progressive campaign platform:
- Abolish the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Eliminate national borders
- Restructure the criminal justice system
- Close prisons and release the inmates
- Instate universal health care and basic income