A survey was conducted on December 19-20th and published on Sunday by the Fondation Jean-Jaurès think-tank and the Conspiracy Watch organization. The survey consisted of approximately 1,200 individuals from the French population and focused on some of the greatest conspiracy theories in history, and the results were surprising.
Researchers found that of the 12 theories tested, a whopping 80 percent of the French population believe in at least one major conspiracy theory.
Can you guess which ones are popular with the French?
The assassination of John F. Kennedy by the CIA is one conspiracy theory that 54 percent of respondents believed to be true.
Here's the breakdown:
- 54 percent believe JFK was assassinated by the CIA.
- 16 percent believe the Apollo moon landing was fake.
- 55 percent believe governments are conspiring with pharmaceutical companies to hide the truth about vaccines.
- 10 percent believe in the possibility of a flat Earth.
- 18 percent believe God created life less than 10,000 years ago.
The researchers seemed troubled by what they found stating, “The results of the survey confirm that we are facing a phenomenon that is not only real but also major, which cuts across our society and influences our collective views to a worrying degree.”
What conspiracy theories do you believe in?