WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) -- The New York Times says the Obama administration has intensified the covert U.S. war in Yemen, hitting militant suspects with armed drones and fighter jets.
The newspaper says the accelerated campaign has occurred in recent weeks as conflict in Yemen has left the government there struggling to cling to power.
The report, posted on the newspaper's website late Wednesday, says Yemeni troops who had been battling militants linked to al-Qaida in the south have been pulled back to the capital. American officials hope the strikes will help prevent militants from consolidating power.
A drone strike by U.S. special operations forces on May 5 targeted U.S.-born al-Qaida cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, but missed, two U.S. officials told The Associated Press.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.
Unrest continues to run rampant in Yemen, with citizens growing impatient with the nation's current political situation:
Demonstrations Continue in Yemen by NewsLook