Brushing hair is a no no. Playing with balloons or jumping on a trampoline? Forget about it. Wearing polyester clothing is also out of the question.
For those who have a rare disease called "hair brushing syndrome," static electricity causes vital organs to shut down and could be fatal. Megan Stewart, according to the the Scottish Daily Record, is one of these rare cases.
In 2008, when Stewart's mother was brushing her hair for school, the 13-year-old fell over and her lips turned blue:
"She can't rub balloons on her head at parties and she can't wear any shiny clothing."
. . .
Sharon, 41, said: "I was brushing her hair in the living room when she flopped over and her lips turned blue.
"I thought she was having a fit, which she'd never had before, so we called the paramedics. It was really scary."
Doctors at Glasgow's Yorkhill hospital for sick kids, where Megan had spent the first year and a half of her life, told her parents they had only ever heard of one other case of the bizarre syndrome.
The Scottish Daily Record went on to report doctors as saying they believe the syndrome is a result of early complications. Stewart was born of an emergency cesarian section three months early at 2 pounds 3 ounces. Stewart had a hole in her diaphragm causing her stomach to fall through and leaving room for only one lung to grow. As a result of these complications, Stewart has asthma and dorsal stream dysfunction, which means she can't see fast moving objects.
The Stewart's have found a way to brush Megan's hair though. According to the Daily Mail, Stewart's mother said they lay her down, cover her head with water to avoid static build up and brush. Stewart is planning a charity fundraiser on October 8 to increase awareness of this condition.