Here's a classic example of why you shouldn't stick foreign objects in your mouth. A British woman who saw something on her tonsil directed a pen towards it and accidentally swallowed it.The felt-tipped pen remained in her stomach -- for 25 years!
Now, the 76-year-old has had it removed. Amazingly, after all those years in stomach acid, the pen still writes.
NPR reports that at the time of the incident, she wasn't believed by her doctors or husband because X-rays didn't show the pen in her stomach. More than two decades later, the pen was revealed during a CT scan:
Even after all these years without trouble, doctors figured there was a risk the pen could tear a hole in her stomach. Remarkably, the pen still worked.
Take a look for yourself at the scan showing the pen in her stomach. And the acid test, so to speak, "Hello," written with the retrieved pen afterward.
New York Daily reports that the woman was seeing a gastrointestinal specialist for stomach problems, which the doctors stated were unrelated to the pen's presence.
The report, published in the Case Reports of the British Medical Journal is a lesson for doctors to believe patients "however unlikely it may be."