President Obama just announced his plan to "accommodate" religious organizations being forced to provide free contraception. And guess what: he thinks the American people are idiots.
Here's what I mean:
- Obama just said that he won't force employers with religious reservations to provide free contraception.
- Instead, he said he will now force the insurers to provide such services for free.
- But let's ask this: who pays for those employees to have those policies? It's the employers.
- Who do yo think the insurers will pass the cost of such "free" services onto? The employers.
- That means, in the end, employers will be paying for the "free" birth control. That's basic economics.
For someone from the University of Chicago -- home of the great free-market thinker Milton Friedman -- President Obama really doesn't seem to understand some basic economic principles. Or, maybe he does. And then the issue becomes this: he thinks he can fool you, and believes you're not smart enough to notice.
This isn't an accommodation or a compromise. It's a joke.