Content warning: The following post contains graphic language that may not be suitable for some.
News that television host Elisabeth Hasselbeck is leaving "The View" and heading to "Fox & Friends" has sparked a variety of comments from both supporters and detractors, alike. While the personality has received a great deal of praise, some critics have also taken to social media to send nasty and virulent messages her way.
Elisabeth Hasselbeck (Photo Credit: AP)
"Thank God that right wing wacko is leaving," wrote one Twitter user LopezLpzgra. "The View became smarter," added Dwczaja.
But those are some of the more benign responses. Others were more angry and mean-spirited, ranging in both intensity and offensiveness.
While another critic advanced the notion that Hasselbeck has sold her soul to the devil (an apparent accusation that working for Fox News is an evil act), it didn't end there. She was also called the c-word and was accused of being fired from "The View" -- and not willingly leaving -- by one apparently angry Twitter user.
Below, see just a few of these more harsh responses:
One is so vile (the c-word) we had to redact it:
In addition to purposefully insulting, others noted how happy they were that they would never need to watch or hear from Hasselbeck again (although it's unclear why these people simply couldn't turn the channel when they saw her on "The View").
And then there's "General Hospital" soap actress Nancy Lee Grahn who insinuated that Hasselbeck doesn't have a conscience:
While these negative messages were certainly rampant on social media, most people were encouraging -- even those who don't necessarily agree with the television host's politics. Many, in fact, thanked Hasselbeck for her insight and for offering a different perspective.
Starting in September, the conservative media personality will be replacing current "Fox & Friends" host Gretchen Carlson, who is moving to an afternoon news slot.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Opponents of Boy Scouts’ Gay Youths Policy to Launch New ‘Godly’ Alternative for Kids
- ‘The Great Gypsy’: School District Issues Embarrassing Reading List Riddled With Errors
- Atheist Church Will Take God and ‘Super-Naturalism’ Out of the Equation — and This Former Pentecostal Preacher Is Leading It
- Furor Rages After Pastor’s Wife Pens Article Rebuking Southern Baptists Over Boy Scouts, Homosexuality
- The Next Gay Marriage Battle? ACLU Files First-Known Lawsuit Over State Bans on Same-Sex Unions