An attorney for one of the Benghazi whistleblowers expressed severe disappointment that the Senate confirmed Victoria Nuland -- a controversial figure in the alleged Benghazi cover-up – as the top envoy to Europe, and without a debate.
“The vote is an insult to all who died in Benghazi,” said Joe diGenova, a former U.S. attorney, now with the Washington firm of DiGenova & Toensing.
His one-line email response to TheBlaze came after the Senate confirmed Nuland by voice vote with no objections to be the Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Thursday.
Nuland is a career State Department employee who has worked for Republican and Democrat administrations. She was the spokesperson for the State Department during Obama’s first term.
However, ABC News first reported in May that Nuland “raised specific objections" to a "paragraph drafted by the CIA in its earlier versions of the talking points” that warned about Al Qaeda.
Nuland was quoted in emails saying the Al Qaeda warnings “could be abused by members [of Congress] to beat up the State Department for not paying attention to warnings, so why would we want to feed that either? Concerned…”
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is continuing its investigation into the talking points and inquired about the matter with Nuland last month.
Then-U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice said on five Sunday news programs after the attack that it resulted from a spontaneous reaction to an anti-Muslim YouTube video, a claim that was later discredited. Rice is now the White House National Security Adviser.
The law firm run by diGenova and his wife Victoria Toensing is representing the two State Department whistleblowers Gregory Hicks, former number-two State Department diplomat in Libya, and Mark Thompson, acting deputy assistant Secretary of State for Counterterrorism. Both men testified to Congress in May about the State Department’s response to the Benghazi attack. Specifically, diGenova represents Thompson, and Toensing represents Hicks.