A Missouri woman and her 13-year-old daughter woke up Sunday morning to find their house engulfed in smoke and flames — but, it's unlikely the home will be what is missed the most.
According to KCTV, the Raytown family's dog died after heroically alerting the mother and her 13-year-old daughter to the house fire.
The mother and child were unable to escape through the stairwell because of the fire, so they resorted to exiting from a second-floor window, ultimately finding safety thorough a roof with assistance from the neighbor.
"The family was extremely lucky. First, their dog woke them, then the neighbor responding so quickly to rescue them from the roof," Interim Fire Chief Matt Mace said, according to KMBC.
The family dog, however, never made it out.
Investigators believe damage to the home and its contents will total about $165,000, KCTV reported.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter