A Rhode Island middle school that received nationwide scrutiny after canceling an event for honors students over exclusivity concerns reversed course Tuesday.
In a statement issued by Cole Middle School, officials said they have "decided to honor excellence" as previously planned.
The school generated controversy when they cited concerns about the "exclusive nature" of an event aimed at honoring honor students.
"Members of the school community have long expressed concerns related to the exclusive nature of Honors Night," an email sent over the weekend said, according to a local newspaper.
After coverage in the national news, the school announced Tuesday in a statement that they would no longer nix plans to hold Honors Night.
"Over the past several days, we have been in contact with many members of the community who have shared feedback about our decision to recognize and celebrate student excellence by individuals and teams in a team-based event during school hours," the statement said, according to the East Greenwich Patch. "We have certainly appreciated the range of feedback we received about how best to celebrate excellence at Cole."
"In light of our conversations, we have decided to honor excellence as we had planned, but at a traditional evening event," it added.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter