© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Anything We Want!': Looting, Vandalism Reported After Vigil for Unarmed Teen Fatally Shot by Police
Image source: YouTube

Anything We Want!': Looting, Vandalism Reported After Vigil for Unarmed Teen Fatally Shot by Police

"...looting it, ransacking the QuikTrip."

UPDATE 12:38 a.m.: SWAT reinforcements look to be arriving in Ferguson, according to Steve Giegerich, a general assignment reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

UPDATE 12:28 a.m.: Benjamin Crump, the attorney who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, will represent the family of Michael Brown, who was fatally shot by a St. Louis-area police officer on Saturday, KSDK-TV reported, citing CNN:

UPDATE 12:15 a.m.: An alderman of St. Louis' 21st Ward retweeted a photo of the looted convenience store on fire:

FERGUSON, Mo. (TheBlaze/AP) — People smashed car windows and carried away armloads of looted goods from stores Sunday night after thousands of people packed a suburban St. Louis area at a vigil for an unarmed black man who was shot and killed by a police officer. An elected official reported gunshots fired at police.

Image source: YouTube Image source: YouTube

The candlelight gathering was for 18-year-old Michael Brown, who police said was shot multiple times Saturday after a scuffle involving the officer, Brown and another person in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb of the city.

Afterward, some people looted a convenience store.

Image source: YouTube Image source: YouTube

The following YouTube clip reportedly depicts the looting and was tweeted by Robert Edwards, producer at KSDK-TV in St. Louis:

A voice is heard on camera saying that he and others are at the store "where the incident started and looting it, ransacking the QuikTrip."

Another voice later in the clip is heard yelling, "Anything we want!" as looters empty the shelves.

Here's a vine clip:

Shots were reportedly fired at police just before 10:30 p.m. local time, according to Patricia Bynes, Democratic Committeewoman of Ferguson Township, who apparently tweeted from the scene saying that officers told her stay behind their vehicles:

Several other stores along a main road near the shooting scene were broken into and looted, including a check-cashing store, a boutique and a small grocery store.

People were seen carrying bags of food and toilet paper. TV footage showed streams of people walking out of a liquor store carrying bottles of alcohol, and in some cases protesters were standing atop police cars or taunting officers who stood stoic, often in riot gear.

Other witnesses reported seeing people vandalize police cars and kick in windows. Television footage showed windows busted out of a TV station van.

Elizabeth Matthews of KSDK tweeted a report of a fire behind a strip mall and a liquor store break-in:

Several dozen protesters sat down in street in a face-off with police in riot gear. Police made no move toward them.

"Right now, the small group of people are creating a huge mess," Ferguson's mayor, James Knowles, told St. Louis KTVI-TV. "Contributing to the unrest that is going on is not going to help. ... We're only hurting ourselves, only hurting our community, hurting our neighbors. There's nothing productive from this."

As the investigation of Brown's death progresses, "we understand people want to vent their frustrations. We understand they want to speak out," Knowles added. "We're going to obviously try to urge calm."

St. Louis County Executive Charlie Dooley said there were no reports of injuries but confirmed widespread property damage. "Right now I'm just worried about people, not property," he said.

Earlier in the day, a few hundred protesters had gathered outside Ferguson Police headquarters.

Jamahl Spence, right, pleads his case with a Normandy police officer in front of the Ferguson, Mo. police station on Sunday, Aug. 10, 2014, one day after a Ferguson officer shot and killed Michael Brown. (Image source: AP/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Robert Cohen)

At one point, many of them marched into an adjacent police building, some chanting "Don't shoot me" while holding their hands in the air. Officers stood at the top of a staircase, but didn't use force; the crowd eventually left.

Activist Anthony Shahid tells the crowd to put their hands up on Sunday morning, Aug. 10, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo., as part of the protest against the police shooting of Michael Brown on Saturday. (Image source: AP/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, J.B. Forbes)

County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the shooting occurred after an officer encountered two people — one of whom was Brown — on the street near an apartment complex in Ferguson.

Belmar said one of the men pushed the officer back into his squad car and a struggle began. Belmar said at least one shot was fired from the officer's gun inside the police car. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said authorities were still sorting out what happened inside the police car. It was not clear if Brown was the man who struggled with the officer.

The struggle spilled out into the street, where Brown was shot multiple times. Belmar said the exact number of shots wasn't known, but "it was more than just a couple." He also said all shell casings found at the scene matched the officer's gun. Police are still investigating why the officer shot Brown, who police have confirmed was unarmed.

Jackson said the second person has not been arrested or charged. Authorities aren't sure if that person was unarmed, Jackson said.

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson told KSDK-TV there's no apparent video footage of the shooting from a nearby apartment complex, or from any police cruiser dashboard cameras or body-worn cameras that the department recently bought but hasn't yet put in use.

Jackson said blood samples have been taken from Brown and the officer who shot him, with those toxicology tests generally expected to take weeks to complete.

Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, said he had graduated from high school and was about to enter a local college.

She said she doesn't understand why police didn't subdue her son with a club or Taser, and she said the officer involved should be fired and prosecuted.

Lesley McSpadden, left, is comforted by her husband, Louis Head, after her 18-year-old son, Michael Brown was shot and killed by police in the middle of the street in Ferguson, Mo., near St. Louis on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014. (Image source: AP/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Huy Mach)

"I would like to see him go to jail with the death penalty," she said, fighting back tears.

Image source: CNN/KPUR/KTVI Image source: CNN/KPUR/KTVI

The killing drew criticism from some civil rights leaders, who referred to the 2012 racially charged shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a Florida neighborhood watch organizer who was acquitted of murder charges.

"We're outraged because yet again a young African-American man has been killed by law enforcement," said John Gaskin, who serves on both the St. Louis County and national boards of directors for the NAACP.

The Rev. Al Sharpton called the shooting "very disturbing" and said he planned to go to Ferguson to meet with the family.

St. Louis County Police Department is in charge of the investigation, and Dooley said he will request an FBI investigation. The U.S. Justice Department said Attorney General Eric Holder had instructed staff to monitor developments.

The race of the officer involved in the shooting has not been disclosed. He has been with the Ferguson Police Department for six years, Belmar said, and has been placed on paid administrative leave.

This story has been updated.

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?
Dave Urbanski

Dave Urbanski

Sr. Editor, News

Dave Urbanski is a senior editor for Blaze News.
@DaveVUrbanski →