Entertainment

U.S. Mulls Response to Sony Hackers, Is 'Working Tirelessly to Bring the Perpetrators of This Attack to Justice

"[W]e are considering a range of options in weighing a potential response."

Pedestrians walk past an exterior wall to Sony Pictures Studios in Los Angeles, California on December 4, 2014. (AFP PHOTO/Frederic J. BROWN)

The U.S. government is "working tirelessly" to bring the Sony hackers to justice and is "considering a range of options in weighing a potential response," the White House said Wednesday night.

"The U.S. government closely monitors all reports of breaches affecting U.S. companies, U.S. consumers, and U.S. infrastructure," the National Security Council said in a statement. "We know that criminals and foreign countries regularly seek to gain access to government and private sector networks – both in the United States and elsewhere."

[sharequote align="center"]"The U.S. government is working tirelessly to bring the perpetrators of this attack to justice..."[/sharequote]

"The U.S. government has offered Sony Pictures Entertainment support and assistance in response to the attack. The FBI has the lead for the investigation. The United States is investigating attribution and will provide an update at the appropriate time," the statement continued. "The U.S. government is working tirelessly to bring the perpetrators of this attack to justice, and we are considering a range of options in weighing a potential response."

Pedestrians walk past an exterior wall to Sony Pictures Studios in Los Angeles, California on December 4, 2014. (AFP PHOTO/Frederic J. BROWN) Pedestrians walk past an exterior wall to Sony Pictures Studios in Los Angeles, California on December 4, 2014. (AFP PHOTO/Frederic J. BROWN)

Multiple media outlets reported Wednesday night that an assessment by U.S. investigators concluded the Sony hackers were acting on orders from North Korean leaders.

Until Wednesday, the Obama administration had been saying it was not immediately clear who might have been responsible for the computer break-in. North Korea has publicly denied it was involved.

The unidentified hackers had demanded that Sony cancel its upcoming release of the movie “The Interview,” a comedy that included a gruesome scene depicting the assassination of North Korea’s leader.

On Wednesday, Sony Pictures said in a statement that they have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25th theatrical release of “The Interview” amid terror threats thought to have come from the same group of hackers. The motion picture company also said they had no further release plans for the movie — including releasing it onto DVD or on-demand.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.