The alleged gunman who carried out two deadly attacks in Copenhagen Saturday — at a free-speech event and near a synagogue — and was later killed in a shootout with police has been named by media outlets.
TV2 named him as Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein, Danish newspaper the Local reported; police, however, have not released the alleged gunman's name. Another outlet DR also named El-Hussein, along with newspaper Ekstra Bladet.
Media reports noted that the 22-year-old was released from jail two weeks ago after serving a term for aggravated assault, the Local added.
Born in Denmark, the suspect had a criminal record that included violence and weapons offenses, as well as a background in criminal gangs, Copenhagen police said in a statement.
A Danish film maker attending a panel discussion on blasphemy was killed in the shooting Saturday at the free speech event and a member of the Scandinavian country's Jewish community was killed outside the synagogue. Five police officers were also wounded in the shootings.
Police believe the suspect carried out both shootings alone but were investigating whether he had received help from others.
"Denmark has been hit by terror," Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt state. "We do not know the motive for the alleged perpetrator's actions, but we know that there are forces that want to hurt Denmark. They want to rebuke our freedom of speech."
Jens Madsen, head of the Danish intelligence agency PET, said investigators believe the gunman was inspired by Islamic radicalism.
"PET is working on a theory that the perpetrator could have been inspired by the events in Paris," Madsen said. "He could also have been inspired by material sent out by (the Islamic State group) and others."
Islamic militants killed 17 people in France last month — at the Charlie Hebdo newsroom in Paris and against Jews at a kosher grocery store.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
(H/T: The Guardian)
Follow Dave Urbanski (@DaveVUrbanski) on Twitter