A 12-year-old girl in Massachusetts recently used first aid she learned from the popular book series, “The Hunger Games,” to save her friend after an injury.
According to WBZ-TV, Mackenzie George was at a birthday sleepover party with her friends when the group of girls decided to walk outside in the marsh. Mackenzie slipped in the mud and cut her leg on a piece of metal hidden below the water. She began to bleed profusely.
“I was really in shock,” Mackenzie told WBZ. “I thought I just like hit it on something and I was like ‘Oh, what the heck is that?’ so I pull it up and it’s like a big gash on my leg.”
Her friends ran to seek help and to call 911 as Megan Gething, 12, sprung into action to help her friend. Using a pair of denim shorts, Megan tied a tourniquet around Mackenzie’s leg.
“I tied it around the wound as a tourniquet,” Megan told WBZ.
Megan said she “knew how to do it from a book called ‘The Hunger Games,’” citing a scene where the series’ heroine, Katniss Everdeen, ties a tourniquet on another character, Peeta Mellark, when he is injured.
“Eventually, I presumed it stopped the bleeding,” Megan said.
Help arrived shortly. Mackenzie was taken to a hospital, where she needed 48 stitches to close her wound. Doctors expect her to make a full recovery.
“I’m just thankful that she stopped the bleeding because otherwise it would have been way worse,” Mackenzie said.
Mackenzie’s father, Gregory George, praised Megan’s actions.
“To see that level of response and heroism in a 12-year-old girl is just unheard of we’re very proud of her,” he told WBZ.
Mackenzie said that she learned a valuable lesson from the ordeal: “Don’t swim in a marsh.”