Liberal political commentator Keith Olbermann lashed out at Eric Trump on Twitter Saturday over charitable donations only to be quickly shut down by the younger Trump.
The spat began when Olbermann replied to a tweet from White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, who on Saturday took a veiled shot at Hillary Clinton.
Conway's tweet came in response to GOP activist Charlie Kirk, who said: "The way the media is reacting you would think Don JR had a foundation that illegally took millions of dollars in exchange for favors."
Conway replied: "That would be something. Especially if some of those countries repress girls & women."
Kirk's tweet, which received thousands of retweets and nearly 20,000 "likes," meant to emphasize the apparent hypocrisy between the reaction the mainstream media has given to Donald Trump Jr.'s meeting with a Russian lawyer at Trump Tower last summer and their coverage of alleged "pay for play" with the Clinton Foundation.
As the theory goes, while Clinton was secretary of state, the Clinton Foundation accepted millions in donations from countries, many of them in the Middle East, in return for diplomatic favors. While the conservative media has reported on the allegations, not much as been said in the mainstream press.
Olbermann, a diehard progressive, didn't let the opportunity to take a shot at the Trump family pass him by.
"I understand your confusion. You're thinking of @EricTrump self-dealing charity cash to himself from golf tournaments," he said in reply to Conway's tweet.
It didn't take long for Trump to respond to Olbermann's attack — just 22 minutes, in fact.
"You mean the $16.3 million dollars I have raised for dying children (before the age of 33) at a 12% expense ratio," Trump tweeted.
"What good have you done?" he challenged Olbermann.
Olbermann responded Sunday by claiming that he has given more than $1 million to various charities including St. Jude's and Make-A-Wish Foundation.
"Charity is when you see people with less or in need, and you give them some of yours, Sonny. It's not "a 12% expense ratio" (i.e. "profit")," Olbermann wrote.
As TheBlaze reported, it was alleged last month that the Eric Trump Foundation had mislead donors about where charitable donations to his foundation were going. It was even alleged that some of the donations were going to the Trump Organization or Trump Foundation.
According to Forbes, which broke the story:
In reviewing filings from the Eric Trump Foundation and other charities, it’s clear that the course wasn’t free — that the Trump Organization received payments for its use, part of more than $1.2 million that has no documented recipients past the Trump Organization. Golf charity experts say the listed expenses defy any reasonable cost justification for a one-day golf tournament.
Additionally, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, which has come under previous scrutiny for self-dealing and advancing the interests of its namesake rather than those of charity, apparently used the Eric Trump Foundation to funnel $100,000 in donations into revenue for the Trump Organization.
And while donors to the Eric Trump Foundation were told their money was going to help sick kids, more than $500,000 was re-donated to other charities, many of which were connected to Trump family members or interests, including at least four groups that subsequently paid to hold golf tournaments at Trump courses.
In an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity last month, Trump responded to the allegations by alleging that Democrats and opponents of his father were behind the claims.
"You know I’ve never seen hatred like this," Trump told Hannity. "They have no message, so what do they try to do? They try an obstruct a great man, they try an obstruct his family. They come after us viciously, and it’s truly truly horrible."