In a key decision Thursday from the White House, the president's attorney Rudy Guiliani told The Associated Press that he would not be answering any questions from special counsel Robert Mueller about obstruction of justice.
'That is not going happen'
The announcement puts an end to the weekslong speculation surrounding the request from the special counsel that the president answer questions about his investigation into Russian election interference and alleged collusion with the Trump campaign.
Giuliani indicated that President Donald Trump refuses to answer Mueller's questions either in person or in writing.
According to The Associated Press, Giuliani said questions about obstruction of justice were a "no-go."
“That’s a no-go. That is not going happen,” Giuliani told the AP. “There will be no questions at all on obstruction.”
Mueller's team indicated that they would be willing to accept written answers to their questions last week, if they were allowed follow-up questions.
Giuliani rejected that suggestion as well.
“It would be in written form and if you want to follow up on our answers, justify it," he said. "Show us why you didn’t get there the first time."
This leaves Mueller in the constitutionally gray area of possibly subpoenaing the president in order to force him to answer questions in the investigation. Some have said that a constitutional crisis might ensue if the president denied the subpoena, which he almost certainly would.
Giuliani has indicated that a counter-report to Mueller's findings is being prepared, and that they may even attempt to block the release of special counsel report.
Here's a CNN report on the latest developments in this story:
“We aren’t going to let them spring it on us,” Giuliani said of Mueller's questions.