Please verify

Watch LIVE

'A blessing from God': Fox reporter rescues woman from rising flood waters in Dallas

Screen shot of Fox Weather video

A Dallas-area resident is safe today, thanks to the courage and quick-thinking of one Fox weather reporter.

On Monday, heavy rainfall deluged the Texas city. As much as fifteen inches fell in some areas in just a 24-hour period, causing tremendous flooding which left many drivers stranded or stuck at home.

Despite the rain, one woman, Stephanie Carroll, left her home in the early morning hours as usual to pick up her daughter. Because of the early morning darkness, Carroll could not tell that the flood water was as deep as it was — until it was nearly too late. At that point, Carroll had driven so far into the water that her car actually began floating.

"I thought I was dying," she later recalled. "I thought I was going to die. I thought I was going to drown."

Luckily, Atlanta-based Fox weather correspondent Robert Ray had been setting up for a live broadcast nearby and spotted Carroll in distress. He first attempted to direct her floating car toward higher ground, but when that didn't work, he eventually helped Carroll egress through the passenger window. Ray then carried her and her bag to safety before abandoning the vehicle.

"She literally, as I was standing here setting up for the shot, guys, pulled in and didn’t realize it," Ray said afterward. "The next thing you know, her car was floating. So, I went out there and tried to push her vehicle as best I could."

Most of the rescue was caught on film:

"I'm OK. I'm OK, by the grace of God," Carroll told Ray after they were both safely standing on solid ground.

Shannon Murray of Fox 4 Dallas also happened to be on the scene and witnessed Ray's rescue. She referred to the entire situation as "terrifying."

Carroll thanked Ray on air for helping her escape, calling him "a blessing from God."

Though most of the rain has dissipated, Dallas still has a very slight chance of more rain in the next day or so. A flood warning remains in effect until at least 3:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday. It's unclear how many area roads remain flooded and impassable.

Most recent
All Articles