The campaign of presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said that he will be attending the next Democratic presidential debate on Oct. 15, despite recently undergoing heart surgery.
Here's what we know
"[Campaign] operations are continuing as usual and he will be at the debate," Sanders campaign spokeswoman Sarah Ford told CNBC on Thursday. Campaign advisor Jeff Weaver also reported on Wednesday that Sanders was "conversing and in good spirits."
This news comes just one day after the Sanders campaign revealed that he had been hospitalized and "two stents were successfully inserted" following "some chest discomfort." Due to this, the Sanders campaign cancelled "his events and appearances, until further notice." So far the campaign has not said when he will resume campaigning.
Sanders tweeted on Wednesday "Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm feeling good. I'm fortunate to have good health care and great doctors and nurses helping me to recover." He also took the opportunity to promote his plan for "Medicare for All!"
Sanders is currently polling in third, behind former-Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), according to the Real Clear Politics average.
Rather than having an "under card" debate like the Republican debates had during the 2016 campaign cycle, the next debate will host a record 12 candidates on one stage. The debate will be hosted by both the CNN and the New York Times, and hosted on CNN. It will be moderated by two CNN anchors (Anderson Cooper and Erin Burnett) and New York Times national editor Marc Lacey.
Sanders is also one of five (along with Biden, Warren, South Bend Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) who have already qualified for the next debate which will be held in November.