Indianapolis Colts starting safety Khari Willis turned more than a few heads Wednesday when he announced his retirement from the NFL after just three seasons in the league — so he can become a Christian minister.
Here's Willis' Instagram post explaining it all:
"With much prayer and deliberation, I have elected to officially retire from the NFL as I endeavor to devote the remainder of my life to the further advancement of the Gospel of Jesus Christ," Willis wrote in part. "I thank all of my family, friends, and those who have supported me on this journey thus far, and I look forward to your continued support through the next phase of my life. I am both humbled and excited to pursue the holy call that God has for my life which brings me much joy and purpose ..."
How did folks react?
It appeared the vast majority of folks reacting to Willis' announcement respected his decision — like Frank Reich, head coach of the Colts.
"We're thankful and appreciative of Khari's contributions to the Colts both on and off the field over the last three seasons," Reich said in a statement, according to ESPN. "Khari's character, leadership, and professionalism will be missed in our locker room as will his play on Sundays. I admire and respect his decision to transition into the next stage of his life and ministry and my prayers will always be with him."
'Yikes, what an IDIOT'
But some folks weren't too thrilled about Willis' decision — and some detractors got downright nasty. Here are but a few Twitter bombs:
- "God isn’t real this is crazy," one commenter said in reaction to the news.
- "Giving up a proven career that makes you millions of dollars for a magic man in the sky who doesn't exist is a strange choice but alrighty then," another user declared.
- "It's pretty selfish for the being you worship to essentially strip you of your childhood, teenage and college years to train and give it your all to the sport of football, for you to reach the pinnacle of the sport, the NFL, and then say, 'Nah, go teach others about me instead…" another commenter opined.
- "I really wish people who are grateful stop using Jesus, Lord & God in their statements. If you wanna feel that way, fine. Just don’t say it in public," another user stated. "It’s insulting to us who aren’t religious."
- "Bruh if my god ever told me to quit on making millions of dollars to be a priest instead I would straight up tell him to kick rocks," another commenter revealed. "Nah man there’s plenty of other 'gods' bruh I wish I had this opportunity. Just get a different god and keep gettin that bag."
- "This is so bizarre…. I mean he’ll never make the money he’ll make in the NFL as a preacher…. Somebody needs to step in and try to talk some sense into this guy," another user wrote.
- "Stupidest s**t I've read all day," another commenter shared.
- "Yikes, what an IDIOT," another user wrote.
If there are remaining questions about Willis' heart and character, the following tweet should seal the deal: