×

Please verify

Watch LIVE

Kim Jong Un's rep says dictator may have 'lost the will' to negotiate further with Trump

News

Earlier on Thursday, Trump suspended talks after he said Kim wanted the US to lift all sanctions


North Korean government officials said that dictator Kim Jong Un has "lost the will" to negotiate further after President Donald Trump refused to agree to lift all sanctions on North Korea.

What happened with the negotiations?

Trump met Kim to negotiate for the denuclearization of North Korea. However, Trump ended the negotiations on Thursday after Kim demanded that the United States lift all of its sanctions on his country. "Sometimes you have to walk and this was one of those times," Trump said.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo indicated that the negotiators would "regroup."

Trump received bipartisan support for his decision to walk away from the negotiations. Senate Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) praised the move saying "President Trump did the right thing by walking away and not cutting a poor deal for the sake of a photo op."

Former-President Barack Obama's national security adviser Susan Rice also said that Trump had made the right move. "For the United States to have agreed to lift all sanctions in the absence of real and complete denuclearization would have been a tremendous mistake," she told NPR.

What did Kim say?

According to Bloomberg White House Correspondent Shannon Pettypiece, a North Korean official said in a press conference on Thursday that "Chairman Kim got the feeling that he didn't understand the way Americans calculate." He added "I have a feeling that Chairman Kim may have lost the will" to keep negotiating with the United States.

The North Korean regime also denied that Kim had demanded an end of all sanctions, insisting the he only wanted "partial" relief in exchange for progress on denuclearization. Kim's foreign minister, Ri Yong-Ho said that the North Koreans had only asked to have the sanctions from 2016 and 2017 lifted.

According to Bloomberg, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-Hui told reporters the "U.S. not accepting our proposal is missing an opportunity that comes once in a thousand years."

Most recent
All Articles