Jacob Garcia/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
A migrant caravan headed for the U.S. southern border that at one time numbered nearly 10,000 people has dissolved, Mexican authorities said Saturday. However, caravan organizers say the migrants will still attempt to travel across Mexico to the United States seeking asylum.
Mexican immigration authorities said Saturday the migrants were given temporary visas, called migratory multiple forms, which will permit them to freely remain in Mexico. An agreement was reached after the Mexican National Institute of Migration spoke with caravan organizers from Central America, Venezuela, Haiti, and other countries, CNN reported.
"With the agreements reached thanks to our talks, migrants are prevented from being victims of criminals who are dedicated to human trafficking or traffickers who expose the migrants to unsafe conditions," the agency said.
The caravan departed from Tapachula, Mexico, last week and traveled towards Mexico City. According to organizer Luis Villagran, who spoke to Fox News, approximately 80% of the migrants in the caravan, about 9,000 people, were granted temporary legal status by Mexican authorities and permitted to continue the journey north.
Villagran said that although the caravan has broken up, the migrants will proceed to the United States and attempt to enter the country at the border.
It is illegal for migrants to travel past the Mexican southern state of Chiapas without documentation under Mexican law. Though Mexican authorities have broken up migrant caravans before, including one in October last year, many migrants have continued their journey to the U.S.
U.S. immigration authorities have been overwhelmed by tens of thousands of migrants, including children and families, who have appeared at the border since President Joe Biden took office in 2021. Illegal immigration has surged as much as 10% under Biden's watch, according to one estimate from the Center for Immigration Studies.
The Biden administration reported an enormous 234,088 migrant encounters at the southern border in April, a 22-year high and the fourth time the administration has reported monthly encounters exceeding 200,000.
There have been more than 20,000 illegal border crossings in the Rio Grande Valley sector in the past two weeks alone, according to Fox News reporter Bill Melugin.
\u201cLive from Hidalgo, TX in the RGV this morning, where we discuss:\n- Thousands of Haitian migrants gathering in Reynosa, MX. \n- Busloads of migrants from recent caravan arriving in Acuna across from Del Rio, TX. \n- 20,000+ illegal crossings in RGV sector in last 2 weeks. @FoxNews\u201d— Bill Melugin (@Bill Melugin) 1655131064
Migrants that do not present themselves at a legal point of entry seeking asylum are detained by border agents and deported under the administration's Title 42 public health order. This pandemic-era policy is responsible for the majority of deportations since March 2020, sparking protests from immigration activists and demands for the Biden administration to rescind the order.
President Biden's attempt to end Title 42 was blocked in court.
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.