The Taliban vowed Sunday that President Donald Trump's decision to cancel a secret meeting with Taliban leadership would cost the White House more American lives.
"Now that U.S. President Trump has announced the suspension of negotiations with the Islamic Emirate, this would not harm anyone else but the Americans themselves," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement.
"This will lead to more losses to the U.S.," Mujahid continued, Reuters reported. "Its credibility will be affected, its anti-peace stance will be exposed to the world, losses to lives and assets will increase."
Promises for increased violence come after Trump revealed over the weekend that he had been planning to meet with Taliban leadership and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in separate meetings at Camp David to finalize peace talks between the warring groups.
But Trump cancelled the meeting after Taliban terrorists killed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, 34, 34, from Morovis, Puerto Rico, in a bombing last week.
"Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight," Trump said on Saturday. "Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?"
Negotiations between the U.S., Afghanistan, American allies, and the Taliban have been ongoing for some time. The result of which would be increased peace and stability in the region along with the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.
Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. envoy negotiating with the Taliban, said last week the two sides had come to an agreement "in principle," and only required Trump's approval to be finalized.
It's not clear whether the agreement stands after Trump's decision to cancel the meetings. However, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday the U.S. remains committed to achieving an agreement to end the Afghanistan War.