An 18-year-old Tennessee girl spent five days on life support after four years of heavy vaping weakened her lungs and left her susceptible to pneumonia and more, the Daily Mail reported on Thursday.
Juliet Roberts, while beating the scary hospitalization, was left needing around-the-clock oxygen therapy.
What are the details?
The outlet reported that Roberts began using e-cigarettes when she was just 14 years old and soon became addicted.
Her habit quickly spiraled out of control and she began regularly using the vape pens to the point where she would use up a disposable e-cigarette every two weeks.
In January, Roberts fell ill and struggled to breathe.
She was quickly admitted to a local hospital, where doctors placed her on life support due to her deteriorating condition.
An X-ray of Roberts' chest revealed significant damage caused by e-cigarettes and pneumonia, and doctors told her that while she would recover from this bout, she was at an elevated risk of suffering a heart attack due to the strain on her lungs.
Roberts would end up spending a total of 12 days in the hospital — five of which were spent on life support.
"When you get a lung X-ray it's supposed to be black and the only white you're supposed to see is your ribs," she said according to the report. "But my X-ray you could almost not even count some of my ribs because of how white it was. That was because of the damage from the vape and the pneumonia which I got from vaping. They think I maybe got hold of a fake disposable and I had a bad reaction to it because of some type of chemical that was in it and it just made my lungs want to stop working. They said obviously with how consistent I was with vaping it made the condition worse as well."
She added, "My lungs will never go back to what they were before, they will just get strong enough for me to breath on my own again."
Roberts, continuing her recovery at home, still requires oxygen 24 hours per day in addition to nebulizer treatments. She has vowed to never vape again.
"It's not worth it," she insisted. "I want it to be known that it is as dangerous as people say it is and it's a lot more common than people think it is."