President Donald Trump opened the coronavirus task force media briefing on Tuesday with the announcement of a halt to funding for the World Health Organization.
The WHO has been criticized widely for its improper response to the coronavirus that likely led to deaths that could have been prevented.
"Today I am instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization's role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus," Trump said.
The president explained his decision to halt funding by recounting the many mistakes the WHO made, but added that there is an investigation pending.
Other critics of the WHO pointed to early statements made by the organization that appeared to parrot Chinese propaganda about the coronavirus and helped the communist nation in its cover-up of the burgeoning pandemic.
Even some Democrats, including New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, have agreed that the president was right in questioning whether WHO has acted in the best interests of the world and the United States.
Here's part of Trump's announcement:
WHO FAILED: Trump HALTS payment to WHO - BLAMES them for delayed response www.youtube.com
- Trump Proposes Global Health Funds Cut Amid Coronavirus Fears ›
- Trump budget cuts funding for health, science, environment agencies ›
- Coronavirus in U.S.: Trump cut funding to CDC, other disease ... ›
- Did President Trump Cut the CDC Budget? ›
- Did Trump try to cut the CDC's budget as Democrats claim ... ›