New report indicates the MOAB bomb killed many more ISIS terrorists than previously thought

New report indicates the MOAB bomb killed many more ISIS terrorists than previously thought
Latest estimates from Afghanistan say at least 94 Islamic State fighters have died as a result of the MOAB bomb strike. (Getty Images/Department of Defense)

The number of Islamic State fighters killed by the largest non-nuclear bomb ever used in combat by the United States military, dubbed the “mother of all bombs,” has risen to at least 94, according to Afghan officials.

Nangarhar provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogiani told CNN about the latest report.

“The number of Daesh fighters killed in the US bomb in Achin district jumped to 94, including four commanders,” he said.

Afghan officials originally said Friday the MOAB strike had killed only 36. But that number rose, and will likely continue to rise, as officials comb through the bomb site for the remains of terrorist fighters.

Fortunately, Khogiani said there are still no reports of any civilian casualties as a result of the bomb strike.

Islamic State officials have denied that any of their soldiers were killed in the strike.

The U.S. military dropped the bomb on an Islamic State stronghold in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province on Thursday, targeting a vast tunnel system the terrorists were using to evade U.S. military drone strikes. The tunnel system was making it difficult for military operations to successfully target the Islamic State fighters, military commanders said.

U.S. military estimates there to be between 600-800 Islamic State fighters currently in Afghanistan.

152 Comments