You could call it the story that never dies. GOP presidential contender Herman Cain has dominated political headlines, as has attempted to explain sexual harassment charges that were waged against him 12 years ago. Now, his accuser -- who remains anonymous -- is claiming, through her lawyer, that the 2012 presidential hopeful has been lying to the American public.
Cain, who has already been scrutinized for seemingly changing his story regarding a settlement that was paid out to the woman following the purported incident, hasn't yet responded to these latest allegations. This mystery woman is particularly frustrated over his insinuations that she lied about the allegations.
"She's been very upset about this since the story broke last Sunday, because Mr. Cain has been giving the impression she came out and made false allegations," her lawyer, Joel Bennett, said on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360."
Watch Bennett discuss these issues, below:
Additionally, as Cain has described the incident, Bennett claims that he may be misrepresenting how it was settled. Rather that a termination agreement, which is the characterization that the presidential candidate has used, Bennett claims that the case was handled as a sexual harassment settlement.
Considering these allegations, some may be wondering why the woman doesn't simply break her silence and share her side of the story. Bennett tackled this during his CNN interview, explaining that she is trapped in a confidentiality agreement with the National Restaurant Association.
In order for her to come forward, the NRA would need to allow the woman to talk freely and openly about the situation. "Until they do that, she's not going to speak out," Bennett explained.
This morning, Bennett claimed that Cain has already violated the agreement based on his discussion of the matter earlier this week. The Hill has more:
According to Bennett, one of the stipulations of the confidentiality agreement was that neither party could make disparaging remarks about the other. Bennett said Cain violated that agreement on Fox News on Monday when he said that he had been told that the accuser’s performance in the workplace “was not up to par.”
Watch Cain deny breaching the agreement on Fox News' "Special Report" last night:
Bennett hasn't yet asked the NRA to reconsider this agreement, although association officials have admitted seeing reports about the incident. Sue Hensley, a spokesperson for the group, told CNN that, if contacted by Bennett, the NRA "will respond as appropriate."
So far, the only information that has been released about the accuser is that she's "happily married" and that she works for the federal government. Beyond that, the woman remains a mystery.
This latest news about the ongoing drama comes after Campaign Manager Mark Block announced that Monday was Cain's biggest fundraising day to date. The monies brought in that day, alone, may exceed $300,000.